Sunday, 21st June, 2015 marked the golden jubilee of this church in, Bembridge. A Solemn Mass was held to celebrate the event and to give thanks for the blessings received from Almighty God over the past fifty years. In his sermon at the Mass, the parish priest Fr. Glaysher spoke about a church as a House of God, different to any other building. He also asked the congregation to remember “those who have gone before us, who made the building of this church possible, not only by their labour, determination and generosity, but by their commitment to the Faith and the desire to have amongst them the reassuring presence of Our Blessed Lord in the Holy Eucharist“.
Before 1965 Catholics of Bembridge worshipped in the former Methodist church, which they purchased in 1935.
The following day (22nd June) there was a historical OPEN DAY (afternoon) attended by about sixty people. There were colour slides depicting the past eighty years of Catholic life in Bembridge and in particular the celebrations to mark the 40th anniversary of the church ten years ago. People were able to reminisce about Catholic life in Bembridge during the past fifty years.
At least four people were present who remembered the old former Methodist church, which we used to use prior to 1965. The Vicar of Bembridge, Rev. Linda Bushell and the Methodist Minister, Rev. Frances Watson, came along and both were delighted to be present.
See the Gallery – Island Churches – for photographs of the 50th anniversary.
A booklet on the History of Catholicism in Bembridge has just been published by our society. It is available at £2-00