Welcome to the web site of the Isle of Wight Catholic History Society, established on the Feast of St. Wilfrid, Patron of the Island, in 2001 by Fr. David Buckley, Dean of the Isle of Wight, and with the approval and the blessing of His Lordship Bishop Crispian Hollis of Portsmouth. The patron of the society is Bishop Declan Lang of Clifton, a former Vicar – General of the Portsmouth Diocese, and a native of Cowes, who is familiar with the Catholic history of the Island.
The society seeks to raise awareness of the Catholic history and culture of the Island. We welcome contributions from anyone who can assist with this objective.
As our society is keen to promote the history of Catholicism on the Island, you will find relevant information on the various pages of this website. At Quarr Abbey and at St. Mary’s, Ryde there are regular guided tours at different times of the year. For further information contact us on 01983 566740 or mobile 07790892592; or email email@example.com.
For other Island churches contact the individual parish office / presbytery. These can be found on the Island website http://www.iowrcchurch.org.uk/pastoralarea.htm.
This April, 2019 newsletter contains information on past and future events. It also has interesting articles on:
- Our Lady of Good Council
- IoW Freedom for Catholic Doctor
- “Aid to the Church in Need”
- Canon MacDermot-Roe & Fr. Angelo. R.I.P.
- Historic Mass at Whippingham
- Knights of St. Columba
- Interview with Bishop Egan
- Walsingham Statue at the cathedral
Click on this link to view this (shortened) newsletter. A complete version (hard copy) can be obtained from the society e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following booklets can be ordered. Telephone 01983 566740
- “Ryde to Rome”. The story of St. Mary’s in Victorian times £3-00
- History of St. David’s. East Cowes £3-00
- Parish Visions (Poetry) £2-50
- St. Wilfrid – Patron of the Isle of Wight £2-50
- Walsingham – “England’s Nazareth” £2-50
- Life of William Ward £2-50
- Life of Helen Gladstone £2-50
- Pilgrimage to Walsingham £1-50
- Pilgrimage to Rome £1-50
- Pilgrimage to Poland £1-50
- Short History / Guided tour of St. Mary’s Church £1-00
- The Chapel and Shrine of Our Lady of Ryde £1-00
- Story of the Isle of Wight Martyrs £1-00
- Bishop John Baptist Cahill £1-00
- Victorian Converts on the Isle of Wight £1-00
- First Christians on the Isle of Wight £1-00