Welcome to the web site of the Isle of Wight Catholic History Society, established on the Feast of St. Wilfrid, Patron of the Island, in 2001 and with the approval and the blessing of His Lordship Bishop Crispian Hollis of Portsmouth. The society seeks to raise awareness of the Catholic history of the Island and welcomes contributions from anyone who can assist with this objective. The patron of the society is Bishop Declan Lang of Clifton, a former Vicar – General of the Portsmouth Diocese, and a native of Cowes, who is familiar with the Catholic history of the Island.
As our society is keen to promote the history of Catholicism on the Island, you will find relevant information on the various pages of this website. At Quarr Abbey and at St. Mary’s, Ryde there are regular guided tours throughout the year. For further information contact 01983 812127 or 01983 566740.
For other churches contact the individual parish office / presbytery.
The July newsletter contains information on past and future events. It also has interesting articles on:
- Archbishop Oscar Romero
- Queen Adelaide of Portugal
- Fr. Brian Coogan – 70 years a priest
- Sacred Heart Church, Shanklin – 60th anniversary
- ORP Blyskawicz
- Centenary of Fatima
- A look into the society archives
Click on this link to view this (shortened) newsletter. A complete version (hard copy) can be found at the back of your church.
The following booklets can be ordered. Telephone 01983 566740
- “Ryde to Rome”. The story of St. Mary’s in Victorian times £3-00
- History of St. David’s. East Cowes £3-00
- Parish Visions (Poetry) £2-50
- St. Wilfrid – Patron of the Isle of Wight £2-50
- Walsingham – “England’s Nazareth” £2-50
- Life of William Ward £2-50
- Life of Helen Gladstone £2-50
- Pilgrimage to Walsingham £1-50
- Pilgrimage to Rome £1-50
- Pilgrimage to Poland £1-50
- Short History / Guided tour of St. Mary’s Church £1-00
- The Chapel and Shrine of Our Lady of Ryde £1-00
- Story of the Isle of Wight Martyrs £1-00
- Bishop John Baptist Cahill £1-00
- Victorian Converts on the Isle of Wight £1-00
- First Christians on the Isle of Wight £1-00